Horton Public Library
Consider a contribution that will support the Library’s mission: Community, Learning, & Fun. Your donation would be an investment in the future of your library … and our community. The Library offers a refuge for all ages to explore what the world of literature reveals of the past, what it can provide to enrich their lives now, and how it can enhance their future opportunities.
Horton Public Library is grateful to receive community aid in raising funds needed for Library needs. Our construction is now finished that was due to walls degrading; caused by a failed tile drainage system from the 1950’s & egress window system allowing water into the Library. We had to replace & repair basement walls as well as system replacements at a cost of $28,238. DC Solutions did this work the week of March 15 2021. We have several other facility concerns that we would like to address in the near future. One of these is our roof which appears to have some damage & leaking into the main floor of the Library
Sadly, we do not have a Friends of the Library group to aid in normal fundraising efforts & due to Covid issues we have not been able to hold large fundraising events. Horton Public Library serves not only Horton but an area of approx. 4,200 people in rural south Brown County. Our Mission is Community, Learning & Fun! Our building was completed Dec 30th 1938 after being built on the existing foundation of a bank that had burned down. The open house was held on Jan 11th 1939. Before that the Library began & was housed in the upstairs auditorium of City Hall on Jan 12th 1926. We would greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us so that we can continue to Encourage, Enlighten, and Entertain all who seek to open doors in their minds & hearts. You can help us by sharing our story & or donating through the links below or by contacting us directly:
Thank you for your consideration,
Jessica Ray Buhrman
Horton Public Library
Ways to give:
By Mail/ Stop by: Horton Public Library 809 1st Ave East, Horton KS 66439.
GOFUNDME link: https://gofund.me/74c2f84b (Horton Library Construction Fund)
NEKLS Foundation : https://foundation.nekls.org/make-a-gift-now
NEKLS LGD Foundation link : http://foundation.nekls.org/lgd
Last year Horton Public Library launched our 2nd annual campaign with Library Giving Day, joining in with the national movement and with our partners at NEKLS. This year Library Giving Day will be April 7th 2021. If desired you can contribute credit/debit gifts online at http://foundation.nekls.org/lgd . Questions about how to make a gift at the link? Contact at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-838-4090.
The Horton Public Library has been a critical cornerstone of our community dating back to 1886. We serve a community which expands beyond the borders of Horton to currently include an excess of 4,200 individuals.
We are aspiring to use our donations this year for much needed upkeep & improvements to the library facility.
- Construction for repair of our basement walls and repair of our tile drainage system. Correction construction of our egress window drain systems that are tied in with tile drainage system. Work due to start March 15 2021.
- These improvements include the goal of conceivable efforts in making our lower level more accessible to the physically disabled.
- Upgrading & adding electrical access ports for functional use & additions of technical devices & computers.
- Acquiring new furnishings to create useful work spaces.
- We are setting our sights on funding for future educational programming and equipment for all ages.
- We endeavor to create a more functional & inviting space for our children’s department and a protective storage space for local historical materials.
- Ongoing maintenance for the facility as needed.
What we have accomplished from past LGD donations!
- Replaced non functioning and outdated lighting throughout & repaired electrical in the basement.
- Repaired, replaced tile drainage system.
- Added a sump pump to removed trapped underground water from our basement & egress windows.
- Repaired roof drainage system.
- Repaired & repainted basement interior walls.