Horton Public Library
Consider a contribution that will support the Library’s mission: Community, Learning, & Fun. Your donation would be an investment in the future of your library … and our community. The Library offers a refuge for all ages to explore what the world of literature reveals of the past, what it can provide to enrich their lives now, and how it can enhance their future opportunities.
Horton Public Library is grateful to receive community aid in raising funds needed for Library needs. Our construction is was finished in March 2021. that was due to walls degrading; caused by a failed tile drainage system from the 1950’s & egress window system allowing water into the Library. We had to replace & repair basement walls as well as system replacements at a cost of $28,238. DC Solutions did this work the week of March 15 2021. We have several other facility concerns that we would like to address in the near future. One of these is our roof which appears to have some damage & leaking into the main floor of the Library, we have done some small repairs, but will be needing a re-roofing in 2025-2028.
Sadly, we do not have a Friends of the Library group to aid in normal fundraising efforts. We do have two yearly fundraising events. Library Giving Day in the Spring & Jack-O-Lantern Jubilee in Oct.
Horton Public Library serves not only Horton but an area of approx. 4,200 people in rural south Brown County. Our Mission is Community, Learning & Fun! Our building was completed Dec 30th 1938 after being built on the existing foundation of a bank that had burned down. The open house was held on Jan 11th 1939. Before that the Library began & was housed in the upstairs auditorium of City Hall on Jan 12th 1926. We would greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us so that we can continue to Encourage, Enlighten, and Entertain all who seek to open doors in their minds & hearts. You can help us by sharing our story & or donating through the links below or by contacting us directly:
Thank you for your consideration,
Jessica Ray Buhrman
Horton Public Library
Ways to give:
By Mail/ Stop by: Horton Public Library 809 1st Ave East, Horton KS 66439.
GOFUNDME link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/horton-public-library (Horton Library Support Fund)
<div class=”gfm-embed” data-url=”https://www.gofundme.com/f/horton-public-library/widget/medium/”></div><script defer src=”https://www.gofundme.com/static/js/embed.js”></script>
NEKLS Foundation : https://foundation.nekls.org/make-a-gift-now
NEKLS LGD Foundation link : http://foundation.nekls.org/lgd
Horton Public Library Fund link : https://www.growsouthbrown.com/ ( Follow the instructions on the “Ways to Give” page and be sure to select or confirm your donation is to Horton Public Library.)
Grow South Brown County Match Day (2nd participation) 7/11/23-7/14/23. Between donations and matching funds we were able to raise $655.34!
Grow South Brown Match Day, 7/12/2022-7/15/2022 (1st participation) we raised $930.19!
Horton Public Library is able to be an active part the South Brown Community Foundation. We even have our own link – Horton Public Library Fund. The gifts made to any of the participating non-profit organizations like Horton Public Library are able to have a bigger impact! Donations go directly to the organizations for immediate needs. Match days allow each organization to received a 50% match or more on all gifts.
In 2019 on April 10th Horton Public Library launched our annual campaign with Library Giving Day, joining in with the national movement and with our partners at NEKLS. For our starting year we received $10,000.00 in anonymous donations!!!
April 4th 2023 5th year! (No Donations) April 6th 2022 4th year! (No Donations) April 22 2021 3rd year! ($9.48) April 23 2020 2nd year! ($600.00)
We enjoy being a part of this wonderful program. If desired you can contribute credit/debit gifts online at http://foundation.nekls.org/lgd . Questions about how to make a gift at the link? Contact at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 785-838-4090.
The Horton Public Library has been a critical cornerstone of our community dating back to 1886. We serve a community which expands beyond the borders of Horton to currently include an excess of 4,200 individuals.
We are aspiring to use our donations this year for much needed upkeep & improvements to the library facility.
- These improvements include the goal of conceivable efforts in making our lower level more accessible to the physically disabled.
- Upgrading & adding electrical access ports for functional use & additions of technical devices & computers.
- Acquiring new furnishings to create useful work spaces.
- We are setting our sights on funding for future educational programming and equipment for all ages.
- We endeavor to create a more functional & inviting space for our children’s department and a protective storage space for local historical materials.
- Ongoing maintenance for the facility as needed. (Roof repairs, floor repairs, HVAC replacement, bi-yearly painting of needed areas, and so much more!)
What we have accomplished from past LGD donations and other generous donors!
- Replaced non functioning and outdated lighting throughout & repaired electrical in the basement.
- Construction for repair of our basement walls and replacement of our tile drainage system. Correction construction of our egress window drain systems that are tied in with tile drainage system. Added a sump pump to removed trapped underground water from our basement & egress windows. Repaired roof drainage system. Repaired & repainted basement interior walls. Completed in March 15 2021.
- Small temporary repairs to roofing issues May 2022.
- Addition of a storage shed, and conservation pollination garden June 2023
- Tree trimming August 2023